Gymnasts, Masonic Girl’s School Photograph, from the Margaret Grace Pike Manuscript Collection, Dublin Ms. 26.
The Masonic Girl’s School had been set up in 1792 to help the children of deceased Freemasons. It began its life in Prussia Street, but it later moved to Thomas Prior House on Merrion Road. The building is now a hotel. In 1892 there were 80 pupils in the Girls’ School in the Girls’ School. The school continued to function up until 1970. This particular picture is part of the Margaret Pike Collection, a collection of papers and other material which was donated to Dublin City Library and Archive by Margaret Learmond in 2005. Margaret Pike was the headmistress of the Masonic Girl’s School.