Dublin United Tramways Dublin United Tramways Plans and Sections of Extensions and Junctions, session 1897
Dublin, Dublin United Tramways, 1897
Dublin Trams are remembered with affection by older Dubliners. The Dublin United Tramways Company was founded in 1880, an amalgamation of the three previous companies which had operated the 137 lines, in a service which had begun with horse-drawn trams in 1872. The last horse tram was built in 1897. Electrification began in 1896 and the first double-decker tram appeared in 1899. The decline of the tram as a form of transport began circa the early 1920s, with the growth of road transport and bus travel. The last Dublin city trams made their journeys in October 1948, though the suburban lines to Howth struggled on until 1959.
The maps in this collection show the extensions of the DUTC lines in 1897 and include a list of the property owners affected by the expansion of the tramlines.
For more information on Dublin Trams, see the Dublin City Library catalogue.