Chancellor Carlisle Bridge
Dublin, Chancellor, c. 1880
This is a photograph of O’Connell Bridge under construction. The view is from high on Bachelor’s Walk, towards the junction of Westmoreland Street and D’Olier Street, with part of Burgh Quay in view. O’Connell Bridge was originally called Carlisle Bridge and was designed by James Gandon. The bridge was reconstructed in the early 1880s, the date of this photograph. The photograph was taken by the Chancellor’s photographic company. The firm continued to operate until 1900.
For a listing of photographs held by the City Libraries and for more information on our photographic collections, contact the Reading Room, Dublin City Library and Archive, 6744999 or visit the web listing of our postcards and photographs.